Artist type term listing: M (19 terms)

Use for those who create or construct artifacts directly by their own labor, especially as their craft or profession. For industrialists who own or run a manufacturing plant, use "manufacturers." For those who practice an occupation, trade, or pursuit requiring manual dexterity or artistic skill, use "craftsmen."
Refers to organized groups who make objects primarily by hand. In the context of Western art and decorative arts, the term "manufactory" is often used rather than "factory" to distinguish groups active in the 17th century or later that made fine art, furniture, tapestries, ceramics, and other decorative objects, as contrasted to workers active in modern industrial complexes, or "factories (structures)," where objects other than art are produced. Manufactories are typically characterized by the types of objects they produce, by the relatively large numbers of artists and craftsmen employed, and by the relatively complex administrative structure of director, or "directeur," and several masters, who may each supervise a separate workshop or studio of artisans and apprentices. Manufactories were often sponsored by a monarch or other powerful person. For smaller groups consisting of a master artist or architect and his or her assistants or pupils, especially those dating from the mid-17th century on, use "studios (organizations)." For smaller groups of artists or craftsmen collaborating to produce works, often under a master's name, especially when the groups existed prior to the 17th century, use "workshops (organizations)."
Use for industrialists who own or run a manufacturing plant. For those who create or construct artifacts by their own labor, especially as their craft or profession, use "makers."
Refers generally to workmen and craftsmen who work with marble, including those who do any of quarrying, dressing, sculpting, mosaic, and masonry work.
Use for creative works that depict scenes having to do with ships, shipbuilding, or harbors. For creative works depicting the ocean or other large body of water where the water itself dominates the scene, use Seascapist. Also available to use Marine artist.
USE FOR Monumental mason. Building tradesmen who build with stone or similar material, such as brick, concrete, or artificial stone. W
Designers, engravers, or makers of medals. W
USE FOR for Metalsmith
Painters of military scenes
Artists who create works in miniature, such as paintings, photographs, furniture, and other objects. For those who paint or draw pictures or other decorative forms in manuscripts, use "illuminators." Use for miniature painters
Use for persons engaged in the physical production of coins
Those who construct models, such as scale working or display models of three-dimensional objects or models to produce molds for cast products.
Use for artists' models
Refers to artists who execute paintings on a wall or ceiling as part of a scheme of decoration, as distinguished from "painters (tradespeople)," who paint for the primary purpose of protecting the surface or applying simple color.
SEE ALSO Art Gallery Directors. Use for the official heads of museums. AAT term Gallery Directors, Directors (administrators).
Use for buildings, groups of buildings, or spaces within buildings where objects of value such as works of art, antiquities, scientific specimens, or other artifacts are housed and displayed.